Full Job Description
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Managing Editor/Content Strategist, Travel, USA TODAY 10Best.com
USA TODAY 10Best/10best.com, seeks a Managing Editor/ Content Strategist, Travel, to develop, enhance, and implement its content strategy for travel and lifestyle.
The Managing Editor will envision, recruit, organize, supervise, and oversee production of both editor-selected and reader-voted content on topics such as weekend getaways, vacations, food, restaurants, leisure activities, and travel-related gear and technology.
The ideal candidate will possess strong management skills that include developing a unique creative vision for 10Best.com, understanding and implementing its business objectives, expanding its visibility with creative content for partner sites and brands (including Gannett-owned and -operated businesses), identifying and engaging strong content contributors, leading and working as part of a team, and overseeing workflow and quality.
The successful candidate will be an astute observer of travel and lifestyle, will have traveled broadly, will demonstrate curiosity about travel and lifestyle experiences, and will exhibit and inspire a genuine zest for travel adventures.
This person will certainly recognize appealing travel- and leisure-related stories, people, places, historical and cultural contexts, and trends.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), remote, salaried position. Regular communication with team and partners is required. Occasional travel for team or company meetings is possible.
- Brainstorm with 10Best and Gannet personnel and with current contributors and collaborators to develop both long- and short-term content strategies.
- Recruit, assign, manage, and edit content creators who can implement approved content strategies.
- Engage and manage collaborators as needed to help identify and advance strategies or edit/fact-check content.
- Review, know, and understand current content and relevant metrics that define reader engagement.
- Develop creative ideas and perspectives that will promote and enhance the 10Best.com brand and entice current readers and attract new ones.
- Manage 10Best.com’s content calendar and maintain an organized, efficient workflow.
- Adhere to Gannet’s Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Provide support to freelancers who encounter technical issues within 10Best.com’s CMS.
- Help develop and adhere to monthly and annual budgets.
- Collaborate with members of the USA TODAY Network, such as news, print publications, sales, and marketing.
- Curate content to publish on other sites.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Storyteller who is passionate and knowledgeable about travel, food, and lifestyle trends.
- Ability to collaborate and work with remote teams.
- Good command of AP grammar and style.
- Solid copy-editing and proofreading skills.
- Strong CMS skills (work is accomplished within two proprietary content management systems) and knowledge of WordPress.
- Knowledge of basic media law and ethical photo sourcing.
- Knowledge of SEO using tools, such as Parse.ly and Google Analytics.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
USA TODAY 10Best is Gannett’s premiere non-news experience provider for travel and leisure. We have a rich history of publishing the best of travel and leisure experiences, both online and in print, created in-house and by our extensive network of writers who live in the destinations they cover or actually experience the topics they write about. Accordingly, USA TODAY 10Best is a proud contributor to many Gannett publications.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.