Full Job Description
As the first member of our Business Development team, you’ll help crystalize our product-market fit and design and execute our sales and marketing process. You’ll be responsible for all stages of the customer acquisition lifecycle (see responsibilities, below).
We’re open to hiring senior and mid-level folks (with commensurate title), and high performers could lead the team as it grows.
You’ll have an aggressive target and will be compensated in three ways: base salary, bonuses for goal attainment, and significant equity ownership.
You will be one of our first teammates and so will be involved in many areas of the business, including product management, operations, sales, marketing, customer service – you name it, you’ll help with it. This role is a good fit for a customer centric entrepreneur and business development guru who loves ambiguity and wants to solve problems in education.
- Marketing and Demand Generation – As we get started, you’ll also double as our lead marketer and will be responsible for driving leads through both inbound and outbound marketing techniques, including social media, content generation (SEO, blog posts, etc), webinars, virtual events, direct emails, cold calling, and more.
- Product Marketing – You’ll partner with our subject matter experts to develop specific marketing collateral that both attracts inbound leads and provides customers and prospects with helpful information.
- Outbound Marketing and Sales Development – You’ll pick up the phone and call potential prospects directly, as well as sending personalized cold emails. We don’t want to spam or spray-and-pray, so you’ll need to understand our prospects to precisely target those who we can help the most.
- Solution Engineering and Business Development – You’re ultimately responsible for identifying the best solution to the prospect’s problems and setting them up with the right software and services from our team.
- Sales Presentations – You’ll design and deliver our sales presentations to prospects,in partnership with the founders, enrollment consultants, and other subject matter experts on the team.
- Contracting, Negotiation, and Closing – Ultimately, your goal is to grow our business by closing deals and driving sales revenue. You’ll have aggressive quotas / targets
- Operations, Customer Success, and More – As a growing startup, we need help across the board, from HR to finance to operations. Everyone pitches in to “take out the trash,” and nothing is “outside your job description.” You’ll no doubt help with customer success and support, as well as potentially project management and service delivery.
- Advise Product Teams – Our product and engineering teams will need your expertise as they design and build our product suite.
- Experience selling to schools, districts, CMOs, or other education organizations
- Demonstrated history of closing $1 million in new business each year.
- Sales team leadership experience with 5+ sales reps a plus
- Excellent communicator, including written and oral
- Capable of producing compelling sales slide presentations
- Capable of negotiating contracts and getting into the weeds to push a deal across the finish line
- Legal ability to work in the US, based in the USA.
- Passion for education, equity, or social impact
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive, extraordinary comfort with ambiguity, enjoyment wearing many hats
- Among the best at what you do with a growth mindset and desire to constantly improve
Avela is an education technology startup focused on equity in education admissions and enrollment. We give enrollment, admission, and award officers the tools to make equitable decisions about the allocation of educational opportunities.
We work with school districts and charter networks across the country, including Oakland Enrolls, Tulsa Public Schools, Jersey City Board of Education, and New Orleans Public Schools. We also work with a range of nonprofits and NGOs, including Teach for America and the Inter-American Development Bank, as well as the US Military.
Our platform has four parts to cover each stage of the admission journey, from exploring options to applying and final selection and admission. Our flagship product, Avela Match, is used for running coordinated matching markets to assign individuals to programs, such as public school placements in choice districts. We also offer a range of consulting services to help districts implement enrollment reforms and advance equity in educational programs.
Learn more at avela.org.
Avela was founded by a renowned team of visionaries, including Nobel Laureate Joshua Angrist, Clark Medalist Parag Pathak, and social entrepreneur Greg Bybee. We have a passionate team of entrepreneurs, engineers, economists, and data scientists – get to know us at https://avela.org/team.
We are a flexible, fully remote company. We just ask that everyone work continental US hours to facilitate collaboration. #LI-Remote
Significant equity, passionate team, flexible work policies, home office stipend or WeWork membership, unlimited vacation, 401(k) program, life insurance, and platinum health benefits (medical, dental, and vision) covered at 100%. Learn more at avela.org/careers.